Photo: Jyri Näränen
National Land Survey of Finland / Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI)
The Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI) is a research and expert unit of the National Land Survey of Finland (NLS). The competence of FGI in research and expert services covers widely the whole value chain of the Arctic area spatial data. It initiates from geophysics and geodetic reference systems continuing to spatial data collection by positioning, photogrammetric, remote sensing and navigation methods, and finally ends at management, delivering and utilization of spatial data for end user applications.
• provides a scientific basis for Finnish maps, geospatial information and positioning
• carries out research and development on methods for the measurements, data acquisition, processing and exploiting of geospatial information
• co-operates with industry, universities and governmental organisations nationally and internationally.
The FGI strategy 2018–2023 defines the core competences as follows
• Spatial Data Solutions for Digitalization
• Dynamic Earth
• Smart Environments and Human Interaction
• Intelligent Mobility and Robotics