Conference: EIALAW 2018
How to combine streamlining with environmental effectiveness? – Sharing First Experiences with the New EIA Directive
Friday 23 March 2018, Helsinki
Background and objectives of the conference
Directive on environmental impact assessment (EIA Directive,
2011/92/EU), one of the key pieces of environmental law in the European
Union, was recently subjected to its most extensive changes since 1985.
The amendment of the Directive (2014/52/EU) clarified the EIA process
and is acting as a catalyser for structural changes in many EU member
states. However, a range of issues remain open and there is a need to
identify smart means for the implementation.
The conference will
bring together those working on EIA, enabling them to share their
experiences with implementing the revised Directive. A key goal is to
support the practical application of the new requirements by discussing
different approaches used in member states. To this end, the conference
is open for papers that reflect on the following overarching themes:
Implementation of the new requirements for screening and EIA
reports. How can we implement the new requirements in Annexes II.A and
IV without sacrificing the objective of streamlining?
- How should we evaluate the adequacy of the reports in practice?
- Experiences with EIA as a one-stop-shop / integration of EIA the other assessments
- Content and function of “reasoned conclusions” given by the competent authority
- Ways of judging adequate expertise of EIA consultants or competent authorities
- Utilizing EIA as a (cost-efficient) planning tool within the new regulatory frames
More information: www.yvary.fi/eialaw2018
Back to homepage